Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Why Ride Anything Else But a _________ Cross Bike?

I've been riding bikes since I was a wee bugger. Now, not that I'm much bigger, I've had the chance to sandbox with a ton of rigs on the road, trails and cyclocross. I've only had three bikes previously to race 'cross on - starting with a first-year Surly Cross Check, then an Airborne titanium Carpe Diem, lastly, former national champion Larssyn Staley's Hot Tubes.

The Surly was rad - ugly green with 9-speed Campagnolo parts. It looked great, shifted wonderful and was heavy as a bike made out of pewter, and rode like it, too. I wasn't too broken up to sell it to Fozy. Unfortunately, it was swiped from Fozy. RIP.

The Carpe Diem (a.k.a. Bok Choi) was a clear step up in the world. Once I used a green scotchbrite pad and a bit of WD-40 to get the shine on, the bike looked like a champ with Mavic Helium hoops, Dura Ace 9 and a Wound Up Carbon fork. This bike was made to ride and fast. Unfortunately, though, as all things bike - the relationship wasn't especially long term. I broke up with it last fall and ditched it via e-bay.

The Hot Tubes, well, wasn't meant to be. I didn't measure it right and realized this beaut of a 1x1 was two sizes too big for my small frame. Oops.

So, I've been without a rig for over three months now and been studying for the next generation of cross racer. Hmm... Trek... LeMond... Giant... Salsa... Surly... Ridley... BMC... Vanilla... TET Cycles... I just didn't know which one would sell me on the ride, frame, fork, and kit. I'm not especially discriminating, so really, anything that was reasonably light and had a good spec would be a winner.

The shot out of left field?

Yes... another Fujina...

... more to come

No comments: