Wednesday, March 19, 2008

March Means Nothing

When the winds of spring blow through Iowa, the athletes get super-excited to throw down in a big way. I've learned over the years that March means nothing. I'm still in the base period, getting into a few intervals, and generally enjoying the work.

Since I came down with the cold two weeks ago, I took a week of rest, recovered, hit a conference in LA. Luckily, I was able to get three days of quality running in on the fabled Sunset Boulevard on the UCLA campus and the multi-million dollar mansions in the hills.

With the renewed confidence and excitement to return home, I got nailed again with a sinus infection. The crud was back. This time antibiotics were necessary and I'm taking it easy this week. March means nothing.

So, being said, it looks like the Easter Lake Race for the Egg 5-miler this Saturday is a bust. I doubt I'd be able to defend my 2nd & 3rd place overall eggs from previous years. March means nothing.

Getting back in sync means focusing on solid runs, good rides, and returning to the pool. June is where it happens with the new Pleasant Hill triathlon and Hy-Vee. We'll see what the rest of the year holds - whether another half-Iron distance, an attempt at Boston '09, or qualify for XTERRA Natz again. Heck, maybe even KC Cx Natz '08.

Start the day right - get the head in place, fuel the body with the right foods, train, work, study and make it all happen. March means nothing.

No comments: