Monday, March 24, 2008

Choose How To Race: Stupid, Cocky or Smart?

There are three ways to race, stupid, cocky or smart. I'll offer my analysis of the Easter Lake "Race For The Egg" as an analysis.

Stupid: In 2006, I was just getting back into running and thought an early-season race in my old neighborhood would be fun. I didn't know the competition, nor did I really care, so I just set out to run my own race. I took off at the start at a good pace and ran behind the four-wheel Gator on the two miles on the road, then lead the race through half of the trails before getting passed by the eventual winner, then marathon-mom phenom Robin Freedman, and her husband Brian. I was able to stay with Brian through the finish and sprinted around him at the finale.

I didn't have any expectations with the race, so finishing so high was cool.

Outcome: Emu Egg, 2nd Place Overall

Cocky: 2007 was a little different, as I felt confident I could improve on the previous year... I mean cocky. We started off on the road again, Robin was on my shoulder and we entered the trails with a kid from East High. He took off up the trail and Robin went with him. I continued to run at my pace, but was passed with about two miles to go by another runner and couldn't keep the pace, or close the distance by the line.

I was lucky this time - I had some shape, but not enough to hit the goal I had set to win.

Outcome: Rhea Egg, 3rd Place Overall

Smart: I had no expectations this year. I was sick and off training the first week of March. Second week I was in L.A. at a conference, so got some mileage in, but ingested more smog than I had hoped to. Upon my return, I was nailed by a sinus infection and allergy reaction to the snow dissipating. Ugh. Luckily, my doctor said I could do as I felt... race if I wanted to, sleep if I needed to.

Having no expectations, I planned on running to work on pace - steady, then pick it up in the last two miles. At the last minute, I decided to make sure my gear was smart. I switched from my Pearl Izumi XC trainers to a new pair of Bowerman XC racing flats, removed my windpants and switched from wearing a wind vest to a baselayer and technical shirt. I'd be a little cold on the open road with the wind off of the frozen Easter Lake, but I'd be faster in the trails by losing a ton of weight from my feet in the soft, loamy soil.

Outcome: Ostrich Egg, 1st Place Overall

So, I guess per my previous post, that "March means nothing" is bunk. You never know when you may surprise yourself with a little bit of unplanned tapering.


No comments: