Sunday, February 10, 2008


Des Moines Winter Games Part Deux...

Man... the DM Winter Games really should have been this weekend. The snow is back, the wicked north wind returned, and the snowshoeing is epic. I pinged Petey & Pig on Friday night to see when we could hit the powder. Both picked up snowshoes recently and Petey got some good shoeing in at Denman's the other day.

After last weekend's 5k race at the Waveland Golf Course, I really wanted to get back over there and spend some time working the hills. Layering was key, as it was nearly 50 in the sun - with melting snow - but a 30+ mph frigid wind from the north cleaned up the tracks immediately. Helly Hansen long underwear with fleece vest made up the base. My Patagonia jacket, Columbia snowpants, Sorel Pack Boots, Pearl Izumi Lobster mitts and a fleece hat topped it off. This set-up was perfect - even opened up the pit zips after I had warmed up. I realized that my poles are actually a little taller than downhill poles - I thought they should be about XC-ski height, but I guess whatever works.

Headed south from the parking lot over the hills and into the trees next to I-235. Worked the rolling hills back up 56th to University where I took the most insane hill up and nearly cracked. At that point, I stopped, took a drink and switched over from my Competitor's podcast featuring Edmund "Ned" Overend from Specialized to some REM, Black Eyed Peas, Beck, Beastie Boys, Ben Harper and more. I needed the push to track backwards and close out an hour of stomping.

The Oakley Monster Dawgs were perfect to keep my eyes out of the wind in the northward stomp - luckily, I could adjust the tension of the jacket hood to have more peripheral vision and allow the steam to dissipate!

All in all - a great day to stomp and I'm sore as heck this morning as I warm up with a cup of espresso. Dad, Mandy & I are heading out to Denmans later today - sure to bundle up with a FOUR DEGREE forecast.

Maddie wants stovetop oatmeal in a bit... better get on it.

No comments: